Topic: Cold War
Notes on the Fantasian Army
These notes, from the 1960s, provided the organization of the Fantasian Army, the enemy force used in Staff Colleges, Army schools, and for training exercises in the UK and Canada during much of the Cold War.
1. These notes are intended to provide order of battle information on the ground forces of an exercise enemy known as Fantasia.
2. The Fantasian Army is organised and equipped on the model of the Soviet Army, and is trained by Soviet advisers. The information on the Soviet Army given in "Tactics of the Soviet Army, Notes for Regimental Officers 1964", (WO Code No. 9939) therefore applies to the Fantasian Army.
Background Information on Fantasia
3. Fantasia is a leading world power with considerable industrial resources. It has developed strategic nuclear missiles in the inter-continental range, and tactical free flight and guided nuclear weapons with ranges up to 300 miles.
4. The Fantasian Army is a modern and well equipped force with a high preponderance of tanks. Particular emphasis is placed on nuclear and chemical warfare, night operations, and the crossing of water obstacles. Military commanders are well trained in high speed offensive operations and, provided everything goes according to their plans, they can be expected to acquit themselves well. Morale is high and it is unlikely that desertion or surrender on on a large scale would occur unless the Fantasians sustained a series of reverses. The Army is backed by large trained reserves and a disciplined population.
Order of Battle
5. Order of battle tables for the First Fantasian Front (Army Group) are at annexes A to F.
6. In the Fantasian Army, the "unit" in motor rifle and tank troops is the regiment. These regiments are given individual numbers. Their sub-units, such as motor rifle battalions, are designated under a system illustrated at Annex G. Individual numbers are also given to certain battalion and company type units of supporting arms and services in division and higher formations, as shown in Annexes A to E.
Annex A - First Fantasian Front
Annex B - First Fantasian Combined Arms Army
Annex C - Second Fantasian Combined Arms Army
Annex D - Third Fantasian Combined Arms Army
Annex E - Fourth Fantasian Combined Arms Army
Annex G - Designation of Sub-Units within Fantasian Regiments