Topic: Army Rations
The ration is not palatable when eaten cold.
Command Report - HQ 8th US Army (EUSAK); Sec II: Supporting Documents; Book 21: Quartermaster, April 1951
The 5-in-1 ration is generally unacceptable for the following reasons:
1. Because of their tactical deployment, troops cannot assemble to eat.
2. Equal distribution of the ration is quite difficult under combat conditions.
3. Food must frequently be prepared in the mess gear, which is undesirable because washing facilities are not available to the individual soldier in contact with the enemy.
4. Transportation of the 5-in-1 presents a problem since the individual must carry his own food in combat.
5. There is a large percentage of waste because of the size of the food containers.
6. The ration is not palatable when eaten cold.